Monday, July 12, 2010

The other day Eli, the kids and I were driving to a surprise anniversary party for some very dear friends. First we had to meet my parents at a mall, transfer a child to their car in the semi-vain hope that being separated would encourage each child to take a nap on the fly, and then hit the road again promptly so that we would reach our destination on time, two hours later. Yeah, it was pretty far away.

So about 20 minutes after leaving the house (having spent roughly 15 of those minutes in line for gas at Costco...yes dear, I know it's cheaper, but we're on a schedule!!!) I realize that Eli is going the wrong way. I point this out, and he says, "No, this is the way to Fashion Island."

"No!!" I say. "We're meeting at South Coast Plaza! I told you this, at least 3 times!"

As we all know, those malls are kind of in opposite directions...not good!!

Now I'm tense (well, I've been tense since the gas station, to be honest) so we bicker about this a little. To his credit, Eli apologized several times, and said (also several times), "I guess I had Fashion Island stuck in my head."

At this point, I'm not quite ready to be done with being ticked off, so the tension is still fairly thick in the car...until a clear, high little voice from the back seat rings out:

"Daddy," says Hallie reasonably, "if Fashion Island is stuck in your head, then you have to just...just...pull it right out!" (with appropriate hand gestures to illustrate)

Poof! Magic! Tension gone!

I'm really curious, though...what was her mental picture there?

1 comment: